Call today:

(570) 718-4900

kingston wilkes barre custody & support lawyers

Wilkes-Barre Insurance Law Attorney

The benefits of Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) coverage

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver has no insurance or insufficient insurance coverage, you may not be able to pursue full compensation against the negligent driver. To protect yourself in such a situation, you need Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) coverage. With UM or UIM coverage, you can get the compensation you need from your own insurance company. I can help you file your claim with both the other driver's insurance and your own so you can get the maximum payment possible to cover your expenses and focus on your recovery.

Limited vs. Full Tort

Pennsylvania has two types of auto insurance policies, Limited Tort and Full Tort. If you choose Limited Tort, you may give up the right to claim compensation for pain and suffering when you are in an auto accident. However, you still retain the right to sue for economic damages. It is a common choice for people looking to save some money, who typically believe they will never be injured in a car accident. Unfortunately, with Limited Tort you and your family members may not be covered if you are injured in an accident in your own car, as a passenger in someone else's car or as a pedestrian. There are a few, strict exceptions, such as if you are hit by someone who is driving under the influence (DUI).

A Full Tort policy allows you to claim money for injuries sustained in an auto accident that was someone else's fault. While carrying a Full Tort insurance policy does cost more in monthly premiums, it offers you superior financial protection in case you or a loved one is hurt in a car wreck and requires medical attention.

Other insurance law terms to know

Stacking - Stacking UM or UIM plans means you stack the policies you have on each car. So, if you have $10,000 on each of three cars, you can say you have $30,000. It is a way to collect on more than one auto insurance policy to receive full payment for your injuries and property damage.

Set-offs - If you have UI or UIM coverage and are in an accident caused by another UI or UIM driver, your insurance company will try to set off their payment with the other driver's, thereby not paying you the full amount.

Waivers - You can opt out of having UM or UIM coverage by signing a waiver.

These are just a few of the issues you can face when dealing with insurance law. That is why it is imperative to have a seasoned attorney in your corner. If you need help with insurance issues, contact Angela F. Stevens today.

Insurance Law Problem? We can Solve It.

Angela F. Stevens, Attorney at Law is a full-service law firm with offices serving the Wilkes-Barre, Kingston and all of the Wyoming Valley including Luzerne, Lackawanna, Wyoming and surrounding cities. We are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and evenings and weekends by appointment. Feel free to call us toll free at 1-844-PA-SOLVE (1-844-727-6583), 570-718-4900 or contact us online to tell us about how we can help with your questions regarding insurance law.